Lead-based paint can cause significant health problems, especially in children.
Lead dust settles on floors and walls where it can get on children’s hands or toys and is ingested or inhaled. Lead poisoning can cause permanent brain damage.
There’s no immediate risk unless the paint in your home is peeling or disturbed during renovations. Then, it should be removed immediately by professionals to avoid spreading the dust.
The week of Oct. 19 is designated National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week by the U.S Centers for Disease Control.
For more information, visit the following websites:
- The Coalition to End Childhood Lead Poisoning, www.leadsafe.org
- The National Center for Healthy Housing, www.nchh.org
- The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, www.epa.gov/lead/
- The U.S. Housing and Urban Development, www.hud.gov/offices/lead/index.cfm